Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween and NaNoWriMo 2010

Halloween is my very favorite holiday and clearly I need to live in a more child-filled suburb in order to celebrate it properly. I've manage to graduate from a little kid running door to door to an adult that gets overly excited about handing out candy to small children in costume. I'm pretty happy with this evolution. I think it's the natural progression of things. However, the snow blasted us early this year and a measly 11 kids came to our door.

I also learned, (as I was carving the pumpkin) that I'm actually allergic to raw pumpkin. I ended up finishing  the pumpkin after swearing a bunch and putting on some gloves.
This is the Vault Boy from the Fallout series. The boys wanted to give me a challenge this year and preyed on my unnatural love of the games.



National Novel Writing Month is upon us again and this year there is just too much going on for me to even consider writing 50,000 words in thirty days. I participated in this year's January edition (a satellite event for people too busy in November) and did cross the finish line. However, I also developed an unhealthy habit for energy drinks and spent  too many a night bashing my head against the keyboard in the hopes I could lure in the elusive plot bunny. They're attracted to desperate writers.

I also never actually finished the novel. Oh I crossed the 50, 000 finish line but I suspect there's another 30, 000 to 40, 000 words left before I can actually complete it. 50,000 words, despite its seeming enormity, isn't a lot of words to get something done in a novel. Right now I've got a beginning and most of an end.

Instead, I plan on lurking in the forums and using the daily prompts to help exercise my brain. The prompts are there for stuck writers to at least get the plot moving in times where you've established Jimmy the Alien, but not what he does next. The prompts themselves are pretty ridiculous but fun nonetheless and I think it will be good for me to get back into the practice of writing.

Hrm. Maybe when January comes around I'll do it again.
http://www.appellation.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment